- Owens Corning (Duration)
- Owens Corning (Oak Ridge)
Whether you’re faced with an urgent need for a new roof or you have more time react to a roofing project, we want to help. K&N is your local roofing contractor. Below, you’ll find the top reasons for needing a new roof and valuable information to assist you through the process.
Significant wind can cause shingles to blow off the roof deck. Missing shingles can lead to leaks and other interior damage. Other wind damage may not be easy to see, especially if the adhesive seal that provides a water-shedding surface is broken. Always be safe when inspecting roof damage. Call K&N we are professional certified roofing contractors for assistance.
All manufacturers publish a wind warranty on their shingles; it is important to compare the wind coverage when making your shingle selection on a new roof. If the winds that caused the shingle damage were above the manufacturer’s wind coverage, you’ll need to file an insurance claim. If they were not, contact the shingle manufacturer to file a claim.
Signs of wind damage:
- Missing shingles
- Thin horizontal lines where granules have been worn off about 1-2 inches beneath the shingle above; this could indicate that the shingle seal was broken and the shingle was flapping in the wind rubbing against the shingle above it. To be effective against the elements, shingles must be sealed to each other as one water tight roof deck.
Usually hail is not something that you can miss—it is typically a widespread weather event in a neighborhood and not isolated to just one house on the block. Hail can bruise a shingle causing an indentation that may be hard to see but that can crack the shingle allowing water to infiltrate over time. You may need the assistance of a professional roofing contractor to determine the scope of the damage. If you have hail damage, you will need to file an insurance claim.
If your hail event was significant in terms of widespread damage, you will have roofing contractors who specialize in “storms” knocking on your door within days of the event. As always, you should use your best judgment when selecting a contractor.
Potential signs of hail damage:
- Other collateral hail damage around the house; dents on cars or other items on your house or in your yard
- A distinct pattern of small round-shaped divots on the edges of the shingles
- Indentations in the shingle where granules are missing
- A large pile of granules at the end of your downspout; a small amount is normal, especially on new shingles
During some storms tree branches or other failing debris can land on your roof. Some items are small and won’t cause an issue—other items are so large that you will naturally be concerned about damage. Use your best judgment. You may need to have a professional roofing contractor inspect your roof for damage.
Potential signs of debris damage:
- Visual identification of debris on the roof deck
- Missing shingles
- Cracked shingles
- A large pile of granules at the end of your downspout; a small amount is normal, especially for new shingles
It is important being a roofing contractor in Wisconsin to use only superior grade shingles. K & N Exteriors offers a wide assortment of colors and styles from which to choose. In addition, we use high quality, all ridge vents and valleys in a variety of colors, to ensure maximum durability for your entire roof. We make every effort to protect your siding, landscaping, and adjacent properties during construction.
Replacing a roof is more complicated than simply nailing on some new shingles. A complete and healthy roofing system requires hip & ridge shingles, ventilation products, shingles, and a water-resistant underlayment. We replace and repair the entire system.
K & N Exteriors has provided the quality and craftsmanship in roofing replacements and repair for hundreds of homeowners across south eastern Wisconsin. What separates us from the competitors? The materials we use, the service we provide, and the warranty we promise.